Are Bluetooth Headphones Safe?
In the modern era, humankind has experienced technological advancement like never before. Wireless technology has become part and parcel of our daily lives. Telecom industries are always in a race of releasing new wireless tech devices. Consumers are quick to ditch the devices they have for the latest trend in the market.
The most selling tech devices are wireless devices, and a Bluetooth headphone is one of them. When making your tech purchase, the seller is quick to point out all the product's unique features, but never the dangers. EMF and EMR radiation is a significant health risk associated with wireless Bluetooth headphones.
Scientists worldwide have conducted studies on the potential health risks posed by chronic EMF exposure to humans. Some of the common health risks noted are; cancer, neurological damage and reproduction defects .
The studies have led to a call on the World Health Organization to formulate strict regulations on electromagnetic radiation exposure from wireless devices. The rules would help compelling telecom manufacturers to take precautions by developing wireless devices that protect their consumers against radiation.
The studies conducted have concluded the effects of wireless devices in general. We seek to find out the potential harm caused by Bluetooth headphones, both short-term and long term. It may be difficult to detect the symptoms of the effects of EMF and EMR Radiation in our day to day lives, but the results may cause adverse damage in the long run.
What Do EMF And EMR Radiation Mean?
EMF stands for Electromagnetic Fields, while EMR stands for Electro Magnetic Radiation. They refer to the waves of electromagnetic fields, which carry radiant energy. There are two types of EMR; ionizing EMR and Nonionizing EMR.
Bluetooth headphones are in the category of nonionizing EMR. Nonionizing EMR is low-level radiofrequency radiation. This means that their effects on humans are not severe in the short-term, but it causes significant impacts that may cause health problems in the long-run. Scientific studies from sources such as CDC have shown that this radiation is harmful when direct contact with the human body.
Health Concerns Raised By Tech Consumers on EMF & EMR Effects of Bluetooth Headphones
EMR emitted by Bluetooth headphones is lower than the levels allowed by the current guidelines. This has been a significant cause for scientists to call for a review of these guidelines since evidence has emerged that nonionizing EMR is causing health problems. Below are some of the effects;
- Higher risk of cancer
- Increased free radical production
- Increased stress to body cells
- Damage of hereditary and genetic genes
- Reproductive health issues
- Cognitive impairment
- Neurological impairments
- Restless sleep
- Brain fog
- Heart arrhythmia
- Skin rash
- Heat rash
- Mood swings
- Tourette’s Syndrome
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Damage to the eardrums. If you expose your eardrums to loud decibels of sound emitted from Bluetooth headphones, they will likely be damaged over time and cause hearing problems.
The most problematic effect is on pregnant women. It has been discovered that pregnant women who use Bluetooth headphones and other wireless devices are thrice more likely to undergo a miscarriage . It also found that such women may deliver children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. A developing embryo exhibits high sensitivity to ionizing radiation. The main effects of EMF on embryos are;
- Slowed growth
- Prenatal death
- Mental set back
Pregnant women should exercise utmost caution regarding EMF. If possible, avoid Bluetooth headphones and wireless devices at least until the embryo is mature.
What to Watch Out For In Bluetooth Headphones?
The discoveries made are alarming, so how do we realize which levels of EMF and EMR pose health risks? Generally, EMF emitted by Bluetooth headphones is low level. However, this doesn't mean that the impact is minimal. The specific absorption rate is a significant factor at play here. It refers to the level of radiofrequency that humans absorb from tech devices.
SAR is a determining factor of how much radiation is absorbed in the human body. The proximity of Bluetooth headphones to the human body is the main call for concern as far as radiation absorption goes.
Bluetooth headphones are placed on the head, which exposes the brain to EMR and EMF. Most Bluetooth headphones adhere to the SAR requirement of a maximum of 1.6 watts per kilo . Prolonged radiation exposure will lead to potential health risks.
More studies should be conducted to determine the exact impact of Bluetooth headphones on human health. Additionally, international guidelines on radiation limits of Bluetooth headphones and other wireless gadgets should be reviewed.
Precautions to Take To Avoid Health Risks of EMF & EMR Caused By Bluetooth Headphones
Prevention is better than cure. It is better to be cautious in using Bluetooth headphones to avoid potential health risks. Some simple guides are;
- If answering long phone calls, opt for the speaker feature on your phone instead of Bluetooth headphones. This will reduce the duration of contact of Bluetooth headphones with your head.
- For music lovers, use speakers that don't require you to attach a headset to your head.
- Children are more sensitive to radiation because their skulls are not fully developed. Limit their exposure to Bluetooth headphones.
- When making a Bluetooth headphone purchase, buy a renowned brand that has been in the market for a long and complies with SAR limits.
- Disable wireless devices that emit Wi-Fi signals when not in use. For example, using a computer to connect to your Bluetooth headphones, use an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi.
- Safeguard your sleeping area. We spend a lot of hours daily asleep. If not careful, such long durations expose us to more radiation. Remove all wireless devices from your sleeping area. They include Wi-Fi routers, computers, laptops, mobile phones and Bluetooth headsets. If you must have your phone, let it be in aeroplane mode. Avoid dangerous habits such as sleeping with your Bluetooth headphones on, for example, while listening to music.
Apparel to Protect You from Radiation
Every day, we have to step out for work, school, and other activities. While out, we are exposed to never-ending EMF frequencies that are unavoidable. The best solution is to wear clothing that protects us from EMF exposure. RadiaSmart offers a wide variety of apparel that blocks radiation. They include;
- Organic blankets
- Nursing covers
- Belly bands for pregnant women
- Baby hats
- Cotton hood hats
- Poncho blankets
- Cover aprons
Shop for these and more here!